Final announcement for hard extended deadline for DST 2014 full paper submissions and registrations
Due to numerous author requests, the final deadline for submitting the full papers of all accepted paper proposals as well as for completing all registrations and payments for the DST 2014 conference is extended to Friday April 25, 2014.
Please note that this is a hard extended deadline, in order to be able to finalize and announce the conference workprogramme following completion of full paper submissions and registrations. Any papers for which submissions or registrations have not been completed by that deadline will not be included in the conference workprogramme and proceedings.
All contributors are kindly asked, therefore, to submit their full papers and complete their registrations, according to the details already available on the conference website, by the hard extended deadline of April 25, 2014.
About the Conference
Storytelling has been well recognized as a basic human need, serving as a framework to express our views on ourselves and the world around us, give meaning to our lives and immortalize our memories. Storytelling, like learning, can only happen in social and affective settings, giving us the ability to change through verbalization, communication, creation and is a prerequisite to developing empathy and compassionate community action.
Today’s world, full of digital media and information overload on the one hand and, multiple crises of all sorts on the other, presents a double challenge for digital storytelling: to put digital media at the service of first-person stories, that can be told in a much more interactive manner, reposited in digital memory banks and eventually reach a wider audience; and, at the same time, to put storytelling at the service of creative action and solidary change, as the ultimate response to the crises currently tantalizing economies, societies, and the environment.
The Digital Storytelling in Times of Crisis conference aspires to bring forward digital storytelling projects and efforts that provide new and engaging responses to the above themes and challenges. The conference will include keynote speeches, paper presentations, panels and workshops on all aspects of digital storytelling, plus screenings and exhibitions of digital stories. Emphasis will be placed on research and stories that bring forward digital storytelling as an effective response to crises at all levels.
The Digital Storytelling in Times of Crisis conference is organized in Athens, Greece, during May 8-10, 2014, by the Laboratory of New Technologies in Communication, Education and the Mass Media and the University Research Institute of Applied Communication of the University of Athens and the collaboration of the Hellenic American Union. More details and updated information about this conference can be found on https://dst.ntlab.gr/.
Call for Contributions
All interested authors are invited to submit contributions to be considered for inclusion in the Digital Storytelling in Times of Crisis conference program. Submitted contributions can take the form of
- proposals for original research papers, not submitted or considered for publication elsewhere
- proposals for panels and workshops
- proposals for screenings and exhibitions of digital stories.
Proposals concerning original research papers need to take the form of extended abstracts of no more than 1,500 words, that will be double-blind peer-reviewed by the Conference Committee. All proposing authors will be notified about review results, and authors of accepted paper proposals shall be expected to provide their full papers (between 4,000-5,000 words), and register to present them in the Conference in person (one mandatory author registration per paper), in order to be included in the Conference Proceedings that will be made available online.
Proposals concerning panels and workshops need to propose the title, objectives and speakers of each panel or workshop in a document of no more than 1,000 words. The availability of all speakers should be confirmed by the proposers prior to submission of each proposal, and the proposers themselves should be available to chair, during the Conference, the panels/workshops they propose. These proposals will be evaluated by the Conference Organizers and all proposers will be notified accordingly. Proposers of accepted panels and workshops, as well as all involved speakers, will be expected to register and attend the Conference in person.
Proposals concerning screenings and exhibitions of digital stories need to propose the title, objective and contents of each screening or exhibition in a document of no more than 1,000 words. The digital stories included in each proposal should also be submitted alongside the proposal, using free file sharing services such as Dropbox or similar. The IPR status of all stories included should be cleared by the proposers prior to submission of their proposals, and the proposers themselves should be available to present, during the Conference, the screenings and exhibitions they propose. These proposals will be evaluated by the Conference Organizers and all proposers will be notified accordingly. Proposers of accepted screenings and exhibitions will be expected to register and attend the Conference in person.
- All submissions for original research papers, panels, workshops, screenings and exhibitions of digital stories due (submission materials as above) :
January 31, 2014 [extended deadline] February 14, 2014
- Notification of review results for all types of submissions : February 28, 2104
- Conference registration due :
March 31, 2014, April 15, 2014, April 25, 2014
- Final materials for all types of submissions
April 15, 2014, April 25, 2014
- Digital Storytelling in Times of Crisis Conference : May 8 – 10, 2014
- Please note that all registration fees below are expressed in EUR and are discounted already for early-bird rates; no further discounts are possible.
- Fees include attendance of the 3 days of the conference plus the conference bag. Coffee and lunch break coupons can be purchased during the conference at separate discounted prices according to the details that will be announced.
- In all cases, the registration fees must be paid by the deadline for registration to the conference, according to the details that will be announced.
- fees for presenting participants, panelists, authors of screenings : 150 EUR
- fees for all other participants : 50 EUR
- fees for students, presenting or attending : 30 EUR
- fees for unemployed people, presenting or attending : 0 EUR
- Please note that discounted fees for students and unemployed people are available for a limited number of seats. Therefore, in case you are interested for these discounts please take care to avoid last minute registration. Furthermore, in order to get the discounted fees for students and unemployed people please be prepared to provide an appropriate student or unemployed id document upon your check-in at the conference reception.
Notes for Contributors
- All submissions should be directed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the working language of the conference is English.
- Digital materials of proposed stories for screenings and exhibitions should be uploaded in common video formats on free file sharing platforms such as Dropbox or similar, and notification emails should be sent to email@example.com with all details required for accessing them.
- All initial submissions and final materials need to be provided, at the authors’ responsibility, by the important dates mentioned above.
- Multiple submissions per proposer can be considered for evaluation, in the understanding that the rules for required registrations and attendance of the Conference apply as stated above.
- Submissions of any type to the Digital Storytelling in Times of Crisis conference imply acceptance of and compliance to the terms mentioned in this Call for Contributions.
- In case of multiple submissions accepted by the same proposer, it must be ensured that at least one paid registration is made for each accepted submission.
- Any inquiries regarding the Digital Storytelling in Times of Crisis Conference and this Call for Contributions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning “DST 2014” in the subject line.